The map of Tiujingling in 1985 is on the left, and the modern one is on the right.
Tiu Keng Leng (English: Tiu Keng Leng, also known as: Rennie's Mill) is located in Tseung Kwan O, Sai Kung District, New Territories, Hong Kong. It was originally a squatter area. After reclamation and blasting development in the 1990s, it is now part of Tseung Kwan O New Town . Tiu Keng Ling is located in the southwest of the city center of Tseung Kwan O, in the lowland between the southeast of Wugui Mountain and the northeast of Zhaojinghuan Mountain.
On the left side of the picture, we can see that the English name of Tiu Keng Leng is Rennie's Mill instead of Tiu Keng Leng . In 1905, a retired Canadian civil servant named Alfred Herbert Rennie (Alfred Herbert Rennie) built a flour mill near the site, but the flour mill closed down in April 1908, and Rennie committed suicide on April 14. There are rumors that he hanged himself to death in a flour mill, hence the nickname "Hanging Neck Ridge". After his death, Lenny was buried in the Hong Kong Cemetery in Happy Valley. The top of the tomb is a cross, and the bottom is a trapezoidal base made of stones. The tombstone is engraved with "ALFRED HERBERT RENNIE 1857-1908", and the lace on the cemetery is engraved with "IN LOVING MEMORY ". The flour mill was dismantled after Lennie's death, leaving nothing but a large flat field and an abandoned wharf.
After the refugees moved there in the 1950s, Li Jinong, Director of the Relief Department of the Social Affairs Bureau of the Hong Kong Government, took the homonym of "Diaojingling" and renamed it "Tiaojingling", which means "adjusting the situation". On the other hand, the English name of the place is called "Rennie's Mill" (Rennie's Mill) because of this flour mill. It was not until the handover of Hong Kong's sovereignty that the English name was changed to Cantonese transliteration (Tiu Keng Leng), but due to historical reasons , some people still call it Rennie's Mill.
From 1967 to 1973, the villagers in the area carved the words "Long Live President Chiang" and red flags all over the ground with white oil on the mountainside of the Lingnei. Army member. The old Tiu Keng Leng community used to be a squatter camp. It is a unique piece of land in Hong Kong. On weekdays, the area is covered with blue sky, white sun and red flags all year round from the wharf to residential buildings and schools. There were even more. At that time, Tiujingling was also known as Little Taiwan. Every festival of the Republic of China, such as the Double Tenth Festival or Youth Day, etc., Tiaojingling will be decorated with lights, archways will be built, and grand celebrations and flag-raising ceremonies will be held. Pieces of flag seas flutter in the wind on Tiu Keng Ridge, which is surrounded by mountains and facing the sea. Ships entering and leaving Victoria Harbor will see the flag seas fluttering in the wind on Tiu Keng Ridge. After demolition in 1996, the appearance of the community has completely changed. Tiu Keng Leng bears witness to Hong Kong's long-standing role as a political sanctuary.
The Tseung Kwan O Chinese Permanent Cemetery (English: Junk Bay Chinese Permanent Cemetery) is a cemetery located at the foot of Devil's Mountain and Zhaojinghuan Mountain in the southwest of Sai Kung District, New Territories, Hong Kong. It was completed and opened in 1989 and is managed by the Chinese Permanent Cemetery Management Committee. The cemetery provides ordinary cemeteries, renewal cemeteries and non-renewal cemeteries. A large columbarium in the cemetery provides more than 90,000 ashes and paid ossuary niches. So we can find that there is no cemetery on the left side of the picture.